I haven’t always loved my hair. I’m still traumatized by the bowl haircut I sported for far too many years…
But I have grown to love my hair and swear to never cut it short again. Lord willing, I will be an old woman with long grey hair tied up in a bun. No “mom cut” for me, please!
I want my daughters to love their hair and feel beautiful in their own skin as well. Evyn and I saw this video and thought it was adorable! Check out this Sesame Street video about loving your hair…
Evyn’s hair has been a learning journey for both of us. I remember melting down in Walmart a few days before I went to pick up Evyn in Ethiopia. I was at a complete loss as I looked at the ethnic hair care aisle. I felt inadequate to care for my sweet daughters hair and didn’t even know where to begin. Looking back, I can laugh at that night and those feelings, but in the moment it was valid and I did have a lot to learn! When she arrived home her hair was just a poof on top of her head. Now she has full head of the most beautiful curls. When wet, her hair is so long it reaches halfway down her back! She and I have learned a lot about how to do her hair, what products work, what products don’t, secrets to get her to sit still while I style it, etc. I still have MUCH MUCH MUCH to learn, but I really enjoy our special time each morning as I do her hair. She sits on the bathroom counter, brushes her teeth and sings with me as I brush, moisturize and style her gorgeous hair. Here are a few products I love and work great on Evyn’s Ethiopian locks…
- CHI Silk Infusion- We use this daily…sometimes twice a day. Great moisturizer for her hair! I LOVE THIS. Makes her hair easy to work with, shiny, and healthy. It is on the pricey side, but worth it. I found it cheapest at Publix grocery store. This is my #1 pick for best product for her hair. It’s a must have!
- Argan Oil – I find this to be a little more “oily” than the CHI, maybe a little thicker. Works great on Evyn’s hair and locks in the moisture.
- Pantene Moisturizing Cream for women of color- I usually put this on right after I wash her hair.
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard- Great for when I am leaving her hair down with a headband and bow. Helps tighten the curls. Makes the hair a little crunchy, but holds the curls great.
- Kinky Curly Leave in conditioner- another option if I don’t use the Pantene
- Twisted Sister Curl activator- I use this on the end of her pony tails and braids. Helps define those curls without getting them crunchy like the Kinky Curly does.
- Water spray bottle- Evyn’s hair does best if I make her hair wet before using any product.
- Tangle Teezer. LOVE THIS!!! I have tried a dozen brushes and this one, by far, does the best job getting the knots out without a fuss. I even use it on my hair! It cost about $6 and was worth every penny.
- “rat tail” comb. This is the only way to get a clean part! Best $0.99 you can spend.
- Smoothing brush. I use this brush right before I put the band in her hair, it smooths down all the frizzies and makes her hair smooth.